Chapter 2 of 6 · 8075 words · ~40 min read

CHAPTER II

SCOTTISH CLUBS

THE ROYAL NORTHERN YACHT CLUB, ROTHESAY

BY R. T. PRITCHETT

The Clyde is, and always has been, the great yachting nursery and centre of the North. The very mention of the name arouses all who have pleasurable recollections of the great waters which lead up to the narrow Clutha, whence emerged those monsters of the deep, 'Lucanias,' and other triumphs of modern science. As recently as 1886 the steamer 'Industry,' built by Fife of Fairlie in 1814, was lying in the mud at Haulbowline, after running some sixty years between Greenock and Glasgow. Yacht-building has always been vigorously carried on in the Great Estuary for three generations. The Fifes of Fairlie have designed and built grand vessels there, though the flat shore presents immense difficulties, which are greatly added to by the present increase of draught and lead ballast in yachts of all classes.

[Illustration: 1824. Northern Yacht Club Seal.]

The Royal Northern Yacht Club is installed at that delightful spot, Rothesay, noted for its fine bay; and though Clyde weather is known to yachting men as being somewhat impulsive and petulant, whipping out spars, destructive to balloon canvas unless the skipper is very weatherwise indeed, still for real sailing the Clyde affords some of the best courses in the world and the grandest sport from 23-footers to 200-tonners.

[Illustration: Royal Northern Yacht Club, Rothesay.]

The Royal Northern Club had a very interesting origin. It dates from 1824, when it was founded by some gentlemen in the north of Ireland and west of Scotland who were devotees of yachting. A few years later the club was separated into two branches, an Irish and Scotch division, as will be perceived by the flags given here in illustration. One has the shamrock wreath, the other the thistles, each division having its own committee and officials.

_Original Members_, A.D. 1824

No. 1. Thomas Pottinger (Admiral 1825) 2. John Turnley 3. J. E. Matthews 4. R. Kennedy 5. Robert Thomson (first secretary) 1824, and admiral, 1827 6. Gordon Thomson 7. G. Matthews 8. Henry J. McCracken 9. Edward S. Ruthven 10. Thos. Ch. Stewart Corry 11. George Russell 12, 13, 14. McCrackens, junrs. 15. J. Smyth, Helensburgh (for many years Commodore of R.N.Y.C.) 16. J. Carrick, Greenock 17. Robert Langtry 18. Robert Christian, Sligo 19. Claudius Armstrong, Dublin 20. Robert F. Gordon 21. Edward Forbes Orson, Balyreggan House, Stranraer 22. John Kennedy, Cuttra

The records of the Scotch division prior to 1846 were unfortunately destroyed by an accident some years ago. The minute-book of the Irish division has, however, survived. From it we find that at a meeting of gentlemen interested in the foundation of the Northern Yacht Club, held at Belfast on November 5, 1824, it was resolved 'that the establishment of a yacht club is a highly desirable object.' A committee was accordingly appointed to that end, Mr. Robert Thomson being requested to act as secretary, and at a general meeting held April 8, 1825, Mr. John Allan of Glasgow accepted the post of secretary for the Clyde. At a general meeting at Belfast May 2, 1825, the secretary was instructed to write to Mr. Allan, to consult with the Scotch members and fix with them the place of rendezvous for the first general meeting of the boats of the club. The date arranged was the first Monday in June, and the Irish members declared that they were ready to meet the Scotch members 'in any part of the Clyde' on that day.

The club was known as the Northern Yacht Club. There is no record in the minute-book of the burgee adopted, but in an old picture, now in the club-house at Rothesay, the yachts are shown cruising off Garroch Head, in the Clyde, with red ensigns, the burgee also red, with the letters N.Y.C. in white. The present secretary has courteously sent a photograph of this picture, also of the flags, as an historical contribution. The first prizes offered were for pulling (rowing) matches to take place in Ireland.

The Marquis of Donegall was the first President of the club, and Mr. Thos. Pottinger, Admiral for 1825.

[Illustration: Royal Northern flags.]

The full dress of the club consisted of a blue coat with crimson silk lining, with 'Marall's' vest, white or black pantaloons or breeches, and silk stockings to correspond. Members who appeared at the dinners of the club without this dress were fined 10s. At a general meeting held at Greenock, on August 3, 1825, Mr. James Hamilton, of Holmhead, was appointed Admiral for the ensuing year.

In May 1826, at Belfast, the yachts were divided into three classes:--

1st class over 30 tons register 2nd " " 15 " " 3rd " under 15 " "

The first regatta took place at Belfast, June 20, 21, 22, and on June 23 pulling races were rowed by members and their friends. On June 24 the yachts were to sail together 'in a fleet,' and 'manoeuvre under the directions of the Admiral.' This is quite an echo of the Cork Water 1720 Club.

A proposal of the Scottish members to separate the Club into two distinct branches was agreed to on May 16, 1827. It was probably after this date that each division had a distinguishing burgee; from an old print of these flags now in the club-house at Rothesay, the Irish division seems to have flown a red burgee with a harp, the Scottish division being distinguished by a lion in white.

H.M. King William IV. became Patron of the club in September 1830, and from that time it was known as the Royal Northern Yacht Club.

In 1831 the yachts of the Club were arranged in classes as under:--

1st class over 75 tons register 2nd " " 50 tons and under 75 tons 3rd " " 30 " " " 50 " 4th " " 20 " " " 30 " 5th " " 15 " " " 20 " 6th " under 15 tons

A two days' regatta was held at Belfast in 1836. The different classes just described were started at an interval of half an hour between each, beginning at 10.30 A.M., the prize for each class being ten sovereigns. On the second day a very important event took place, the race for the Belfast Cup, value 100_l._, a time race for all sizes. Eight vessels to start, or no race. Entry 3_l._; the second yacht to save her stake. It is to be regretted that the details of this race cannot be given. On May 21, 1838, at a meeting held of the few remaining members of the Irish division, it was resolved to dissolve that half of the Club and hand over any funds (they amounted to 14_l._ 17_s._ 2_d._) to the secretary of the Scottish division.

[Illustration: Northern Yacht Club cruising off Garroch Head, 1825.

(_From a Painting by Hutcheson at R.N.Y. Club, Rothesay._)]

It is unfortunate that the records of the Scottish division and of the Royal Northern Club, after the dissolution and prior to 1846, have been lost. It had prospered much. The Clyde was developing rapidly and with great energy, as is shown by their four days' Regatta in 1835, the first day at Helensburgh, the second at Greenock, the third at Dunoon, the fourth at Largs, which is without doubt one of the most enthusiastic of yachting stations.

It would be well to record here the cracks of the Clyde in 1835. The 'Gleam' (see illustration on next page), Falcon, 'Nymph' and 'Clarence,' were very leading craft.

Tartar 30 tons A. Morris Sylph 30 " J. Crooks Dream 66 " A. Ranken Gleam (Fife)[3] 30 " H. Gore Booth Clarence 15 " R. Sinclair Amethyst 20 " J. Smith Wave 15 " T. C. Buchanan Emma 15 " Jas. Bogle Falcon 15 " Jas. Kerr Nymph 15 " H. F. Campbell

[Footnote 3: The first celebrated cutter by Fife of Fairlie was 'Lamlash,' 1814.]

Clyde yachting was now firmly established; Largs, Gourock, Greenock, Dunoon, Helensburgh, Rothesay, were the stations most frequented, and each successive season brings them forward more prominently, with well-sustained reputation.

The present club-house at Rothesay was built in 1878, and the Royal Northern Yacht Club regattas are naturally always now held at that place, started from the Commodore's yacht which is moored off Craigmore for that purpose. A chart of the course is given, showing the whole set of different distances.

The prominent feature of this club is that it has from a very early period of its history had a club yacht, which is open to hire by members for periods not exceeding a fortnight, and fine vessels they have from time to time chosen. The first was the well-known 'Orion,' then came 'Mosquito,' a grand iron boat built in 1848, designed by Waterman, and now a pilot boat doing good work. 'Æolus' came next. In 1885 the club had their present vessel, the 'Ailsa,' 66 tons, built by Fife of Fairlie; and who better could have been chosen?

It has already been mentioned that Mr. John Allan, of Glasgow, was the first secretary for the Clyde, 1825. Mr. E. F. Donald is the present secretary.

[Illustration: Midship Section.

'Gleam,' designed and built by Fife of Fairlie, 1834.]

There is no doubt that, if variety be really charming, very charming weather can be found in the Clyde waters, even within the six-hour limit: dead calm, Zephyr, good sailing breeze, rain squalls, white squalls, and the rest.

[Illustration: Royal Northern Yacht Club, Rothesay.]

ROYAL CLYDE YACHT CLUB

BY G. L. BLAKE

The history of the Royal Clyde Yacht Club affords one more proof of the old belief that slow and steady progress is the most enduring.

It is now nearly forty years since the following very modest announcement, under the heading 'Clyde Model Yacht Club,' appeared in the 'Glasgow Herald,' of August 28, 1856:--

A number of gentlemen connected with yachting propose to form a club under the above designation, with the view of furthering a greater amount of emulation amongst the proprietors of small yachts. It is proposed to take in yachts under 8 tons only, being the smallest acknowledged by the Royal Northern Yacht Club, and to have an annual regatta, to be held in rotation at the various watering-places along the coast.

In answer to this call a meeting was held shortly after at the Globe Hotel, Glasgow, on which occasion about thirty-one gentlemen entered their names on the club's list as members. Messrs. Jas. Gilchrist, Archibald Kennedy, Richard Ferguson, Jas. Mum, J. Gibson, Jas. Spencer, Jas. Sutherland, and W. Kennedy were chosen to form the first committee and draw up a code of rules, Mr. W. Kennedy acting as secretary and treasurer.

At a general meeting held the following month, September, the late Mr. Jas. Smith, of Jordan Hill, was elected first Commodore, and Mr. Tom Holdsworth Vice-Commodore, and before the end of the year the little club boasted some fifty members.

[Illustration: Royal Clyde Yacht Club Hunter's Quay. Est. 1856.]

On January 27, 1857, the Admiralty warrant was granted, allowing the club to fly the blue ensign with their burgee: blue with a red lion on a yellow shield in centre. Measuring officers were told off, who had to deal with the old Thames Rule of measurement, excepting in the method of taking the length, the club rule being that 'the length must be taken from outside of the stem to the outside of the sternpost at half the depth of each from the load water-line.' A curious provision was made, too, with regard to racing flags. The club had a series of flags numbered from 1 to 10, and each yacht was provided with a number according to priority of entry for a race, but this kindly thoughtfulness on the part of the ruling powers did not continue beyond a couple of seasons, and members had to provide racing flags for themselves, as they have done ever since.

Though an opening and other cruises had been held, together with a small meeting at Largs, the first great event of the Clyde Model Yacht Club took place on August 29, 1857, off Helensburgh, when four items made up the programme, and Captain Small, Messrs. James Rowan, James Gilchrist, Robert Hart, Dan Buchanon and Thomas Falconer did duty as the sailing committee. The Commodore's yacht 'Wave' was moored off the baths for the occasion, and the course chosen was from the Commodore round the Shoal buoy--thence round a flag boat moored off Ardmore Point and back round the Commodore's yacht, leaving all on the port hand; twice round for the first and second races, and once round for the third and fourth.

The first race was for yachts of 8 tons and under, and for this the 'Fairy Queen,' 8 tons, Mr. Grant, junior; 'Armada,' 7-1/2 tons, Mr. Dickie; 'Bella,' 8 tons, Mr. Walker; and 'Maud,' 8 tons, Mr. St. Clair Byrne, sailed, and finished in the order given.

In the second face for yachts of 6 tons and under, the 'Pearl,' 4-1/2 tons, Mr. Ferguson; 'Maria,' 5 tons, Mr. R. Lyall; 'Leda,' 6 tons, Mr. Alexander Finlay; 'Comet,' 5 tons, Mr. Steven; and 'Clutha,' 5 tons, Mr. Spencer, entered, the three first coming in as named.

The third race, for yachts of 4 tons and under, brought four competitors together--the 'Francis,' 3-1/2 tons, Mr. Miller; 'Lily,' 3-1/2 tons, Mr. Ure; 'Echo,' 2-1/2 tons, Mr. Sutherland; and the 'Banshee,' 4 tons, Mr. Taylor. The 'Francis' won, followed home in the order as above. The fourth item was for boats of 19 ft. over all, a class which, though developed almost out of recognition, has always remained a firm favourite.

It may here be noted that an attempt made at the close of the season to introduce the American 'sail area' rule of measurement signally failed.

Between the years 1857 and 1862 little of importance took place.

During 1863 the first symptoms of a break out from bounds was exhibited, and prizes were given for a race for yachts of 25 tons and under, besides one for yachts of 10 tons and under. A stipulation was made with regard to the latter race--viz. that each yacht was to be manned by one hand only, a dangerous though sporting condition which had previously brought disaster and proved fatal in Irish waters, and has never been permitted since. Both races filled, Mr. Fulton's 'Glide,' 14 tons, won the first, and Mr. McIver's 'Brenda,' 8 tons, the second.

With this divergence from the original scheme on which the club was founded the society threw off its old name and came out under the more independent title of the Clyde Yacht Club. To celebrate this era the annual regatta was lengthened out to a two days' programme, and the 'Lesbia,' 37, cutter; 'Reverie,' 41, schooner; 'Kilmeny,' 30, cutter, and 'Dawn,' yawl, met to do battle with the 15-ton 'Torch,' the crack of the year. Besides the annual regatta, at which yachts from all parts of the kingdom were invited to compete, the Corinthian regatta of the club must not be lost sight of or hidden away behind the lustre of the great event of the season. It had formed part of each season's programme of events for some years, and had been the means of cultivating a true taste for amateur seamanship. Many a member can look back to his first Corinthian race as the beginning of his practical experience in yacht racing. The races at these regattas have been mostly handicaps, and two or three are always open to yachts in cruising trim. The only conditions of the regatta are that 'Yachts may carry their ordinary paid hands, but no extra paid hands, and must be steered by members of a yacht club.'

It is always pleasant to meet with names which are as well known as the club to which they belong, to whom their club owes much, and whose pride and interests are centred in its prosperity. It was in 1863 that two such members' names were added to the official list--the late Mr. J. A. Lockett as Rear-Commodore and Mr. William York as treasurer. Both these gentlemen have for the last thirty years been busily engaged in furthering the welfare of the club, the one in his capacity as secretary or treasurer, or both, the other in several offices, but principally as one of the house committee.

When the year 1867 closed the Clyde Yacht Club's first racing decade, the club was well under way and able to hold its own with any existing yacht-racing community, both as a provider of sport and for the attractions offered to the lovers of yachts and yachting, when with their friends they were brought together on the waters of the 'Bonny Clyde.' This was noticeable in 1863, but it became much more so in 1865, when the well-known clippers 'Mosquito,' 59 tons; 'Glance,' 35 tons; 'Fiona,' 78 tons; and the 'Vindex,' 44 tons, came round to the Firth to sail under the Clyde Club's auspices.

Though opening and closing cruises had always been in vogue since the foundation of the club, it was left for the tenth year to start the long series of these expeditions, which last from a Thursday to the Monday morning following, and, with the combined attractions of racing, cruising and social gatherings, have proved such pleasant features in each season's yachting. The list of members had now reached over 100, while the yacht tonnage had risen to 1,200 gross, comprising 87 yachts of 5 to 103 tons. Among these were included the three most successful yachts of the year in the United Kingdom, and, to the praise of the Clyde shores it may be said, all built and designed by Mr. W. Fife of Fairlie--the 'Fiona' in the 1st, the 'Kilmeny' in the 2nd, and the 'Torch' in the 3rd class.

The season of 1868 would have passed without note or comment had it not been that the club founded an annual Corinthian match, in which two paid hands were to be allowed for yachts of 15 tons and over, and one paid hand to all the smaller yachts. The helmsman was to be an amateur, and no _shot-bag or shifting ballast_ of any kind was to be permitted. Besides proving that the club possessed amateur seamen capable of handling a racing yacht of any size, the fact that that unseaworthy equipment shifting ballast, which had been in use in the Clyde foot classes and in most racing yachts during the early Fifties, was to be abolished, at all events in this race, was a move in the right direction.

1869 is a year of real historical importance, for it not only gives the date when the 40-, 20-, and 10-ton classes became generally acknowledged, but it brings credit to the Clyde Yacht Club where credit is due, as being the founder of these classes, which held sway for so many years. A year later the club was the first to introduce the smaller class of 5 tons as a standing dish in its regatta programmes, and to the Clyde Yacht Club belongs the honour of being the first in the field to recognise that this diminutive class of flyers was well worthy on its own merits of being encouraged.

[Illustration: The Start for Ardrishaig Cup.]

Channel matches had been long ere this time a matter of annual interest with some of the clubs in the south of England, as well as the Royal Alfred Yacht Club at Kingstown, and Royal Northern in Scotland; but the sport of Channel racing and open-sea work had either not been thought of, or had met with no favour, for the first Channel match held in connection with the Clyde Club did not take place till 1871. The race came off after the regatta held that year at Barrow and before the Clyde regattas, the course being from Barrow to the Clyde, so that the yachts about to visit and race in the Firth might find it worth their while to put on a spurt and make the best of their way to their destination. No better course could be chosen for trying a vessel on all points of sailing, to say nothing of her sea-going powers, including as it does the passage between the Isle of Man and the Mull of Galloway. For this race the 'Enid,' 57 tons; 'Livonia,' 280; 'Glance,' 35; and 'Coralie,' 35, started, all yachts at that date as racers. The 'Glance' saved her time and carried off the trophy.

If 1871 opened up Channel groping under racing trim, 'progress' must truly be held the motto for 1872. Not only was the club made a Royal club, and allowed the privilege of placing a crown over the lion's head in the burgee crest, but early in the spring of this year the Royal Clyde opened to its members the house which Mr. Hunter, of Hafton, had built for them at Hunter's Quay adjoining the hotel.

Of course with a settled headquarters, Hunter's Quay became the future rendezvous for all club fixtures, such as opening and closing cruises, regattas, matches and the like; and as the opening cruise this year may be considered the first general meeting of members afloat off the new house, it will not be amiss to give a short description of it. The meeting took place on Thursday, May 30, and began at 2 P.M. with a lunch at the club-house, after which at 4 P.M. the yachts weighed anchor under the Commodore, and sailed under his orders till the signal was made from the flagship for them to make the best of their way to Rothesay. On arrival there, those who were not required on board their vessels to stow sails and clear up for the night took their dinghies ashore, or were taken in their gigs, for a stroll through the old town. In the meantime on board the yachts, as soon as the decks had been cleared up and ropes coiled down in their places, the galley fires were lighted, so that by 7 P.M. the men had had their tea, and the cooks and stewards were ready with goodly repasts awaiting the coming on board again of the hungry masters and their friends.

Dinner over, the pleasures of the evening began with what is known as 'ship-visiting'--that is, the yacht-owner starts off, and either rows himself and friends in his dinghy, or is rowed in correct form, to some friend's yacht where he may remain, or, after a short visit, proceed, taking with him his host and as many of his friends as he can pack away in the gig's stern-sheets, to some other yacht, and so on _ad infinitum_. To row himself is much the better plan, since it means independence of the crew (which perhaps may consist only of one hand), and avoidance of a troubled conscience, that the man or men are being kept up and prevented from turning in.

The following morning only a few burgees were visible, most of the yachts having donned their silken racing flags, for an early start had to be made in a handicap race to be sailed _viâ_ the Garroch Head (the most south-westerly extremity of the Isle of Bute) to Tignabruich. More than half the yachts were started in this race, for which four cups were provided as prizes. The contingent of small non-racers made Tignabruich by way of the Kyles of Bute, as did also some of the larger sailing yachts, which preferred calm and untroubled travelling to a dusting round the Garroch Head. The gathering at the head of the Kyles is, if anything, more enjoyable than that spent at Rothesay. The anchorage is more land-locked, and therefore less liable to disturbance from winds or sweeping seas, and ship-visiting can be carried on without any fear of a ducking or other unpleasantness.

On the Saturday morning, the members of the club and their friends breakfasted together at 9.30 at the Royal Hotel, when the prizes were presented to the winners; after which a few returned to their yachts, got under way, and dispersed with the object of extending their cruise, while those left behind remained to enjoy the beautiful scenery and walks with which the locality abounds, and on Sunday attend church parade on board Lord Glasgow's yacht.

[Illustration: 'Marjorie.'

_Blue, with white cross. 68 tons_ (_J. Coats, Jun., Esq._). _Built by Steele & Co._, 1883.]

Beyond the adoption by the club of the Royal Alfred Yacht Club rules and regulations, nothing of any moment worth chronicling took place till 1875, in which year the purchase was completed by the club of the whole of the grounds and buildings, including the hotel and club-house, and early in 1876 the members enjoyed the privilege of not only having a club-house, but also an establishment worked on the principle of a private hotel, where they could provide themselves and their families or friends with comfortable quarters on very reasonable club terms.

In this matter the Royal Clyde Yacht Club is specially fortunate, as also in one other, viz. the magnificent scenic setting by which their possession is surrounded. Nothing can equal the Holy Loch for beauty and charm of colour, on a summer's evening, particularly about sunset, or an early winter's morning, with its sunrise lowering and accompanied by ever-changing tints lending their enchantments to the rugged grandeur of the hills which bound it. This, with the distant view up the Clyde, obtained from the club-house windows or frontage, is not to be surpassed in any country in the world.

At the opening of the season of 1877, and the close of the second decade, the club numbered no fewer than 643 members, with a fleet of yachts computed at 195, and as the Club Regatta now occupied two days, the three Clyde clubs--viz. the Royal Clyde, the Royal Northern, and the four-year-old Mudhook Yacht Club--considered it necessary to work together for the furtherance of sport, and held their first meeting to arrange a suitable date for celebrating a 'Clyde Week.' A change was also made this season in the several courses at the regattas, a change which had been for some time considered desirable, and which turned out a welcome improvement.

The new courses were as follows: For First-Class Yachts, from Hunter's Quay to Toward buoy, thence to Skelmorlie buoy, thence to the Powder Vessel's buoy, and thence to Hunter's Quay, leaving all on the port hand; twice round, distance 50 miles.

The Second-Class Course lay from Hunter's Quay to Skelmorlie buoy, thence to the Powder Vessel's buoy, and thence to Hunter's Quay, leaving all on the port hand; twice round, distance 40 miles.

The Third-Class Course was from Hunter's Quay to a flagboat moored in Inverkip Bay, thence to the Powder Vessel's buoy and back to Hunter's Quay; twice round, distance 30 miles.

The Fourth-Class Course was from Hunter's Quay to the Inverkip flagboat, and back to Hunter's Quay; twice round, distance 24 miles.

The Fifth-Class Course lay from Hunter's Quay to a flagboat moored off Dunoon Pier, thence to a flagboat moored off Kilcreggan and back to Hunter's Quay; twice round, distance 11 miles.

Another new feature this season was the introduction of the Yacht Racing Association's scale of time allowances, based originally on that drawn up for the Royal Alfred Yacht Club by their late secretary, Mr. James A. Lyle. This scale had been in general use by the R.A.Y.C. for many years.

In 1878, not only the club, but all those who had partaken of its hospitality, had to lament their loss in the death of Mr. Samuel King, one of the most kind and genial of its members. This year was remarkable for the entry in the race for first-class yachts on the second day of the regatta. Five yachts crossed the line for the 60_l_. prize, not one of which was less than 100 tons measurement, viz., the 'Lufra,' 222 tons, yawl; 'Jullanar,' yawl, 130 tons; 'Condor,' 190 tons; 'Cythera,' cutter, 116 tons; and 'Formosa,' cutter, 103 tons. From that day to this there has never been such a meeting of so many first-class large racing yachts, showing so great a tonnage. It may be said also of the useful little 5-ton class, at this time at its zenith of popularity, that the entries this season were the largest that have ever been known. No fewer than eight of these mosquitoes, including Mr. York's pretty little 6-ton yawl 'Rocket,' came to the fore on all the great occasions provided for their sport.

[Illustration: 'May'

_42 tons_ (_W. Chrystal, Esq., Vice-Com. Royal Clyde_). _Built by Steele & Co._, 1881.]

During the years 1879, 1880, and 1881, there was a satisfactory increase in the number of members, and a consequent augmentation of the club funds. The annual amount given away at this period in prizes had reached something over 450_l._ The entries at the regattas during the seasons of 1880 and 1881 were splendid in the 20-ton class; no fewer than seven 20-tonners and the 15-tonner 'Maggie' crossed the line in 1880, and in 1881 the same number, less the 'Maggie,' did likewise. A new class of 2-1/2-tonners was started in 1880 with seven yachts to its name, and in 1881 still another class had to be catered for, consisting of 3-1/2-tonners. The entries, too, this year, in the first class must not be forgotten; for in these days of fashionable small yacht racing it almost reads like a fairy tale when it is said that, out of nine entries, seven yachts were of 89 tons and over, the other two being about 60 tons each.

If the above two years are notable in the annals of the club, in the following year, 1882, its prosperity was evinced in a marked degree by the addition to its possessions of a club yacht; and as there are only one or two clubs which provide such a luxury for their members, it may not be amiss to give a short account of the _modus operandi_ employed in connection with it. Among the 600 to 700 members of the club there were many who did not care to keep yachts of their own, but enjoyed an occasional cruise. It was in answer to a proposition made by one of these gentlemen that funds were procured by means of shares, which were bought by individual members, and by the club itself. In this way the necessary amount of purchase money was speedily collected, and a committee was told off to superintend the choice, purchase, and fitting out of a yacht, with all arrangements connected with manning, and the carrying out of the regulations in regard to hire, &c. The yacht thus secured by the club was the 'Alcyone,' 35-ton cutter, which had been built by Mr. D. Hatcher, and had proved herself no mean performer in the 40-ton class. She is a good wholesome vessel, and a fast and able sea-boat. Her accommodation is excellent, and includes berths for five passengers at least. There is capital headroom between decks, and any amount of space for stowage of baggage, &c.

The 'Alcyone' is manned by a captain and four hands, and when a member hires the yacht he has no expenses whatever to provide for beyond the hire and the keep of himself and friends while on board. Four rules were framed by the committee in charge, as being necessary for the working of the scheme, viz:

First.--The limit of time for hire is 14 days. Second.--The cost of hire is 3_l._ 10_s._ per diem, including cruet stores. Third.--The club is to keep a supply of liquors on board, to be supplied at a small profit. Fourth.--Hirers are bound, if called upon, to deliver up the yacht in the Holy Loch, or at any other anchorage inside the Cumbrae Head.

If it is desired to keep the yacht for a month, then it must be done by two members joining together in the hire, the one putting his name down for the first fortnight, and the other for the second. The cost of hire may seem at first sight somewhat heavy, but the 'Alcyone' is kept up like a private yacht, and no money has been spared to provide every possible contrivance which might be conducive to comfort. The success of the venture is proved by the fact that she has rarely been disengaged or unlet for more than a day or two during any one season since her purchase.

Another sign of prosperity was the institution of an annual club ball, which is held at the St. Andrews Hall, Glasgow, during the winter months, and acknowledged to be one of the principal balls of the year and one of the great events of the winter season.

The next year--1883--showed a still further advancement in the club's popularity, for it was the chosen recipient of a Queen's Cup. This prize was sailed for on July 14, during the 'Clyde Week,' in a race for all yachts over 40 tons, and no fewer than eleven yachts started.

[Illustration: 'Thistle'

_Winning the Queen's Cup in the Clyde._]

If, however, 1883 has been rendered famous for being a Queen's Cup year, 1884 will be noted for the success of its closing cruise, and the sport it provided. This season surpassed itself in the number of entries for the closing cruise handicap, and never have so many yachts come forward to race for the handsome cups, the gifts of members of the club, as on this occasion. In the first match for yachts over 40 tons, ten entered, including five over 90 tons, three 60-tonners, and two of 40 tons. It was the race for 20-tonners, however, that gave real character to the meeting, and there can be no mistake in saying that no other club in the kingdom has ever had to start so many as nine 20- and two 15-tonners in one race, all clever fast yachts, and no third or fourth rate cruisers, as will be seen from their names: 'Clara,' 'Lenore,' 'Amathea,' 'Louise,' 'Sayonara,' 'Irene,' 'Thyra,' 'Maggie,' 'Calypso,' 'Rival,' and 'Gem.' In the race for 10-tonners seven started, among them the old 'Helen' schooner, 17 tons, a yacht which saw more hard sailing than perhaps any other belonging to the club. She was built at Cowes, and was one of Halliday's pretty creations, a few of which are still to be met with. In 1892 she was unfortunately driven on the rocks off Hafton in the Holy Loch, during a severe gale, and was soon smashed into matchwood. For the prize in the 5-ton class three put in an appearance, all the fastest racing yachts of the year.

[Illustration: 'Clara,' 10 tons, midship section.]

The courses for yachts of 40 tons and upwards were altered in 1885; instead of rounding the Powder buoy a mark buoy anchored off Kilcreggan became the furthest point. In 1886 the club forwarded a challenge to the New York Yacht Club, in the name of Mr. Jas. Bell, and this ended in the yacht 'Thistle,' now known as the 'Meteor' and owned by H.I.M. the German Emperor, being built, and sent across the Atlantic, to contend for the Cup won by the 'America.' The 'Thistle' and 'Volunteer' matches were the consequence, and they are so well known that it would be superfluous here to furnish an account of them; suffice it to say that, though the Scotch yacht did not win the great event, her performances with the 'Volunteer' not only taught British yachtsmen many a lesson, but afforded not a few hints to their American rivals.

At the beginning of 1887, the end of the club's third decade, the finances of the club consisted of a capital of 6,990_l._, and the amount at this time annually expended on yacht racing was 487_l._, exclusive of gifts of money made by individual members. During the ten years the numbers on the list of members fluctuated from 610 to 640: in this particular year only 610 names appeared on the list. With regard to the number of yachts sailing under the club flag, there had been the same variation, for though always between 180 and 197, this year the yachts numbered only 189, or 11 fewer than the previous year, the gross tonnage amounting to 12,302 tons.

During the winter of 1886 many matters were discussed which brought forth fruit in the season of 1887, and made that year more important than it otherwise would have been. First of all, the club had to regret the loss of their Commodore, Lord Glasgow, who, after acting for over a quarter of a century in that office, was compelled to give up the appointment owing to failing health. Mr. John Clark was elected to take his place, and Messrs. Jas. Bell and H. Lamont became Vice- and Rear-Commodores. Mr. York, to whom the writer is much indebted for assistance given him in compiling this notice, held the office of secretary and treasurer, which he had so ably filled for over twenty years. During the winter the club had acquired three boats, of 19 ft. length on the load water-line, for the benefit of those members who wished to go out for a day's sail; the three boats being made, as far as the designer, builder, and sailmaker were concerned, as nearly equal in merits as it was possible for them to be, in order that they might show good sport when taken out racing together. Prizes for a race for these boats have since been regularly given at the regattas, to encourage members to take them out match sailing. In this way they have proved very useful in initiating many a tiro into the secrets and mysteries of yacht racing.

[Illustration: 'Lenore'

_Fife of Fairlie_, 1882.]

This year, too, witnessed another change in yacht measurement. The Yacht Racing Association had formulated and passed a rule of measurement by length and sail area, the length to be taken along the load water-line. This rule was adopted by the club, and at the regattas all yachts were rated according to it, with the exception of the 3-1/2-tonners; these, as they happened to be the class of the year, were allowed to race under the old rule for which they were built. As many as six of these little vessels made the Clyde their headquarters and sailed at the regattas.

Through the club's agency, it must not be forgotten, telegraphic communication was opened up between Hunter's Quay, Glasgow, and the outer world. The club provided an office and guaranteed the sum required by the Post Office authorities, and by so doing conferred a benefit not only on themselves but on the whole surrounding neighbourhood.

Early in 1888 the club was engaged in determining the several classes under which yachts built to the 'rating rule,' as it was called, should sail. For this purpose, Messrs. R. Wylie and J. B. Hilliard, the two well-known representative Clyde yachtsmen, were chosen delegates to consult with the other leading yacht clubs in the North regarding the adjustment of a classification for the smaller yachts and sailing boats racing on the Clyde, and full powers were given them to carry out any decision that might be arrived at. Those adopted were the 10, 6 and 3 rating classes with two length classes, one of 17 ft. on the water-line and 19 ft. over all, with a sail area limited to 530 ft.; the mainsail or lugsail not to exceed .75 of the total sail area; the other class to be for boats 15 ft. on the water-line. The 6-rating class was chosen that it might form one in which the 3-tonners of the preceding year would be able to enter, as they ranged over 5 and under 6 as raters. At the time these changes were taking place a rule was introduced that there were to be no 'restrictions on the use of centreboards.'

The great feature of this year's regatta was the 'Queen's Cup,' the second presented to the club within five years, an event of which the members may justly be proud. In the interim between the Corinthian and annual regattas a channel match round Arran was inaugurated, for yachts not exceeding 9 tons Thames measurement and belonging to any recognised yacht club, for 50_l._, given in two prizes of 35_l._ and 15_l._, and presented by two members of the club. The course lay from Hunter's Quay down the Firth, through the Kyles of Bute, down Kilbrennan Sound between Arran and Cantyre, rounding Pladda Island, and home by any route. The yachts were to be _bona fide_ cruisers, and only jib-topsails were prohibited. No restrictions were made as to crew or helmsman. No fewer than eight small yachts sailed in the race, and it proved a far greater success than was at first expected.

If this is to be known as the second Queen's Cup year, it will also have to be remembered for the terrible fire and loss of the club-house and hotel on July 12, nothing of which was saved, with the exception of some furniture, one or two models, and a few odds and ends. A club could be called upon to face no greater calamity, especially at a time when the season is at its height. Craigend Villa, within a short distance of the old house, was promptly rented as a makeshift for a year, and fitted up to meet all immediate necessities, while steps were taken at once to make arrangements for the building of a new house on the old site. To forward this the sum of 10,000_l._ was voted, which with another 8,000_l._ did not cover all the expenses. At the present moment there does not exist a more beautiful or conveniently arranged yacht club-house in the kingdom.

[Illustration: 'Verve'

_23-footer_ (_Robert Wylie, Esq._)]

Notwithstanding the liberal sums devoted by the club to match sailing, there have always been at each regatta meeting a plentiful supply of cups and purses forthcoming to swell the list of prizes, the gifts of individual members. To enumerate all the donors would be out of place here, but it is impossible to overlook such names as Bell, Buchanon, Clark, Coates, Falconer, Ferguson, Forrester, Lockett, Ure, Wylie, and York, names which will ever be linked with the club's successful past.

The year 1890 was remarkable principally for the number of 10-raters belonging to members, and entered for races in that class. It seemed like a resuscitation of the old 10-tonner days. On the other hand, the Clyde, the home of the 5-tonner, had not a single 5-rater to its name, and a 6-rating class had to be formed to take in the Irish contingent, which with Mr. Inglis's little 'Darthula' raced for the prizes provided for them. The 2-1/2-rater class made its entry in the club programmes, and started with a small fleet of seven yachts, including four belonging to the Royal Ulster Yacht Club; but in 1891 this class became the fashionable class of the year, and the club of itself could boast of no fewer than eight of these small fry.

The fleet belonging to the club in the year 1857 numbered 56 yachts, mostly of very small tonnage. By 1867 the number had risen to 87 only, but then the gross tonnage was very much greater, viz. 1,200 tons. In 1877 there were 194 yachts, including a few screw steamers. In the year 1887, 189 names appeared on the club yacht list, i.e. five fewer than in 1877, but the total tonnage on the other hand amounted to 12,302 tons. The last half-decade, however, has quite eclipsed all preceding years, for the yachts now flying the Royal Clyde Yacht Club burgee number 267, which represent a gross tonnage of no less than 14,407 tons. Last year not far short of 1,000_l._ was given in prizes.

The club at the present time numbers 951 members, which will be seen to be an increase of over 300 within the last five years. It is a pleasure seldom accorded to writers of club histories to have to record such an exceptional advance, and in bidding farewell to the society, it may be firmly hoped and prophesied that long ere the close of its fourth decade the R.C.Y.C. will have increased its list of members to over four figures and its yachts and yacht-tonnage in proportion.

THE ROYAL FORTH YACHT CLUB

BY R. T. PRITCHETT

The Forth Club was established in 1848 under the name of the 'Granton Yacht Club,' and received permission from the Queen to assume the title of 'Royal Forth' in 1883. The flag of the club is the blue ensign of Her Majesty's fleet, with a gold crown and Maltese cross. The club is now well supported, having as patron the Duke of Buccleuch, K.T. Sir Donald Currie, K.C.M.G., is Commodore, backed by a very influential staff. The Hon. Secretary is Mr. Bruce Fenwick. The number of members amounts to nearly 2,000, with a total tonnage of about 4,600; but the Firth of Forth has serious disadvantages as a yachting centre, being favoured neither by nature nor circumstances as is the Firth of Clyde, which absorbs all yachting interests. Mr. T. B. C. West, who carried off the Queen's Cup at the Regatta in 1892 with his well-known 40-rater 'Queen Mab,' presented a challenge cup of 100 guineas, to be sailed for annually in the month of June. That, however, was not sufficient inducement to get a large entry. The fact is there are so many regattas now that the tendency is to concentration, and consequently outlying stations suffer.

The Royal Forth Yacht Club had a match in June 1893, at the beginning of their water sports, from Hartlepool to Granton, for a prize of 30_l._ The starters were

The Creole Cutter 40-rater Lieut.-Col. Bagot. Daydream Yawl 89- " Mr. James Shepherd.

[Illustration: Royal Forth Yacht Club Courses.]

The wind was very light at the start, which took place at 10.50 A.M. on Thursday, June 22. Later on light airs from east-north-east helped them; but off the Farne Islands--without any notice or disturbed appearance in the sky--a tremendous squall struck 'Creole'; she, however, behaved splendidly, and was specially well handled. By Saturday morning the weather had moderated and they got the mainsail on her and ran up past Inch Keith, getting the gun at 11.34 A.M. from the 'Iolanthe.'

The larger vessel, the yawl of 89-rating, had her troubles too, and finally got into the Tyne on Saturday morning, under storm canvas.

On the last day of the racing--June 26--there was a match for yachts belonging to the Royal Forth Yacht Club, for the T. B. C. West Challenge Cup, the entries confined to members of the club. Five yachts entered for the race, over a course of forty miles. The tonnage was very small, and the handicap one of large range; it will be noted that 'Ida,' at scratch, allowed 'Lintie' 1 hr. 23 mins. 48 secs.

+---------------+--------+-------------------+-----------------------+ | | | | | | Yacht Rig | Rating | Handicap | Owners | |---------------+--------+-------------------+-----------------------| | | | | | | Ida Cutter | 12 | Scratch | Messrs. Park & Wilson | | Nora " | 8 | 12 m. 24 s. | Dr. W. S. Armitage | | Uranus " | 3.9 | 36 m. 47 s. | Mr. F. A. Robertson | | Glance " | 3.7 | 40 m. 42 s. | Mr. W. A. Bell | | Lintie Lug | -- | 1 hr. 23 m. 48 s. | Mr. G. W. Mitchell | +---------------+--------+-------------------+-----------------------+

The start took place at 10.37 A.M., with a nice breeze from the north-west. 'Lintie' led off, but 'Nora' soon took up the running and led all the way home, finishing at Granton:--

h. m. s. Nora (winner) 6 21 32 Ida 6 29 30 Uranus 6 47 0 Glance 7 42 32 Lintie 7 58 0

This will give some idea of the application of time allowance.

The ROYAL EASTERN, established 1835, is a small Scottish Club whose existence may be noted; but yachting does not flourish much on the East Coast.